New signing Bennetts scores and Woolfenden features in Town U23 win
New signing Keanan Bennetts was on target for Ipswich Town under 23s this afternoon as a side littered with first-teamers beat Colchester United 2-0 in Essex.
Loanee winger Bennetts, who made his full debut off the bench in the 4-1 thumping of Blackpool on Saturday, netted in the 29th minute after physical striker Tyreece Simpson laid the ball back to him.
Young defender Albie Armin made it 2-0 to the Blues with a header just a minute before full-time.
And that proved enough to secure the points for Town, who fielded a strong starting XI.
Star defender Luke Woolfenden played the first 45 minutes, while Corrie Ndaba, Jack Lankester and Armando Dobra all featured too, as did fringe first-teamer Brett McGavin and promising young mifielder Liam Gibbs.
You may also want to watch:
Lankester, who was also subbed off at half-time, came close to scoring after 35 minutes, but his low left-footed effort was well-saved.
Town XI: White, Crowe, Woolfenden (Armin 46), Ndaba, Smith, McGavin, Gibbs, Lankester (Brown 46), Bennetts (Cotter 46), Simpson, Dobra
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies