Ipswich Town v Derby County nostalgia: Counago and Walters punish Rams
- Credit: Archant
In this week’s nostalgia, we take a look back to November 2008 as Town took advantage of defensive errors to beat Derby 2-0 at Portman Road, thanks to goals from Pablo Counago and Jon Walters.
Ipswich Town took advantage of two defensive mistakes to get back to winning ways against a poor Derby team at a freezing Portman Road on November 22, 2008.
The Blues took the lead in the 27th minute when Town forward Pablo Counago beat Claude Davis to a Jon Walters flick-on and Spaniard coolly slotted into the corner to make it 1-0 in the first half at Portman Road.
Ipswich continued to dominate after the break and made it 2-0 in the 66th minute when David Wright sent in a low cross which struck Darren Powell’s heel and landed at Jon Walters’ feet just six yards out.
The striker turned and lashed the ball past Carroll for his first goal in 11 games and his third of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich comfortably saw out the remaining quarter of the game and could have won more easily, but for fine Roy Carroll saves to deny Norris and sub Kevin Lisbie.
Town XI: R Wright, D Wright, Bruce, Naylor, Thatcher, Norris (Miller 82), Shumulikoski, Garvan, Ambrose, Walters (Lisbie 89), CouNago (Stead 74). Unused: Supple, Balkestein. Attandance at Portman Road: 20,239.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 7 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke