Town win in cup

AN inspired piece of goalkicking helped Ipswich to victory over a dogged Brentford at Portman Road last night.Goalkeeper Lewis Price had little to do in the way of shot-stopping but played his part in both Tommy Miller and Ian Westlake's goals.

AN inspired piece of goalkicking helped Ipswich to victory over a dogged Brentford at Portman Road last night.

Goalkeeper Lewis Price had little to do in the way of shot-stopping but played his part in both Tommy Miller and Ian Westlake's goals.

The 21-year-old, who won Wales Under-21 honours last week, also made a brilliant last-minute save when Town were just a goal ahead to ensure they moved into the second round of the Carling Cup.

With three youngsters making their home debuts, along with Tony Dinning who had been given permission by Wigan yesterday afternoon to play, there were six changes from the side which beat Cardiff 3-1 on Saturday.

You may also want to watch:

Scott Barron was making his competitive debut for Town after playing in the senior side during pre-season.

Scott Mitchell was making his first start after two substitute appearances and Price made his senior home bow after starting at Gillingham last season.

Most Read

With Darren Bent, Dean Bowditch and Ian Westlake all starting, it meant six of the side had come through the youth ranks at Portman Road.

Brentford also had a youthful look about their side, with former Newmarket winger Alex Rhodes and 17-year-old Ryan Peters making their full debut for the Bees.

Unfortunately, youthful exuberance was not enough to ignite the first half which was fairly drab in a low-key atmosphere.

Pablo Counago did get the ball in the net in the 17th minute but he had pushed former Colchester United defender Scott Fitzgerald before heading in a very good Mitchell cross.

Town might have scored with any one of three early half-chances. Naylor peeled around the back of the defence at a free-kick but his far-post header was saved by the reflexes of keeper Stuart Nelson.

Bowditch had two shot blocked and the England Under-19 striker dragged a low shot wide from an angle two minutes before the break.

Keeper Nelson made a good save to push away a Bent shot midway through the half as Town looked comfortable but without a cutting edge.

Rhodes did well to dispossess Mitchell but his 25-yard shot lacked the power to trouble Price, but the former Newmarket Town midfielder was involved in most of the Bees' best moments.

An out-of-sorts Counago was replaced at half-time by Shefki Kuqi, while skipper Jim Magilton was given an hour's run-out before Miller came on as planned.

Magilton played in the anchor role of a three-man midfield but even his experience, urging and little passes could not get Town into top gear.

The two young Scotts did well, with Barron getting forward more and more and putting balls in from Town's left flank.

Mitchell started to get adventurous and went on a good run before unleashing a 25-yard shot which went just too high.

Westlake was the busier of the three in midfield and Dinning was not really getting involved in the game until Magilton went off.

But it was Miller who provided the breakthrough in the 74th minute, with a little help from Jay Smith.

The move started with a huge clearance by Price. Bowditch took it down and laid the ball off for Bent on the 18-yard line and he played a neat ball in for Miller, whose shot was partially blocked by Smith and looped over the stranded keeper.

Miller, who told the EADT yesterday he was aiming for 15 goals this season, is already on three and the man who hates to miss games will be delighted he got on.

His goal opened the game up somewhat, with Brentford trying to be a bit more adventurous.

Frampton nodded down a cross which trickled dangerously across the goal but rolled to safety.

Brentford manager, 'Mad Dog' Martin Allen, threw on his experienced players but even they could not make a difference.

Town might have had a second, and seen keeper Nelson sent off, in the last minute.

Bent played a ball over the defence, Kuqi won the header which went over the keeper but Fitzgerald was there to clear before it went over the line.

Nelson, though, never checked his charged and smashed into the Finn, leaving him prone on the deck, but the referee waved play on.

The game really burst into life during time added on. Price made an excellent save to tip away an Isaiah Rankin header brilliantly.

The Bees keeper came up for the corner in a last-ditch effort for an equaliser and when the flag-kick came in Price gathered – and then sent a huge kick upfield.

It may have trickled in on its own, but Westlake gave it a helping nudge and the game was over.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter