Townrow jumps to the defence of Witham Town boss Garry Kimble after Needham Market fury at him playing in big Ryman North play-off game
- Credit: Andy Abbott
Witham Town star Lee Townrow has hit back at what he says is unfair criticism of Spa Road boss Garry Kimble.
Kimble was lambasted by Needham Market manager Mark Morsley after Tuesday night’s Ryman North play-off game that saw Townrow, who is on-loan at Witham from Needham, play against his contracted club.
Witham won 1-0 to reach Sunday’s final with Morsley fuming there was a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ in place, that Townrow should not have played.
“Garry Kimble has done a fantastic job at Witham Town this season,” Townrow said.
“As far as I’m concerned our victory over Needham has been diluted by all the fuss over whether I should have played or not.
You may also want to watch:
“At the end of the day it was 11 v 11 on that pitch on Tuesday.
“We won and I can assure people we wouldn’t be having these conversation, if I’d played but Needham had won.”
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
Needham were considering appealing the result, but have decided against it with Morsley admitting it has left a ‘sour taste’ and he would be ‘considering his position’ at Bloomfields.
For Townrow however, it’s just a case of giving 110% for whichever club he is representing.
“I enjoyed being at Needham Market and always gave my very best,” he added.
“I deserved to play in Tuesday night’s game for Witham. I was always going to play and now we can look forward to Sunday.”
Harlow Town are the visitors to Spa Road this weekend for the Ryman League North play-offs, the winners taking their place in the Ryman Premier Division next season, alongside the likes of Bury Town and Leiston.
“We are really looking forward to it,” Townrow added.
“As I have said, Garry has done a great job with the boys. He’s had a great season and the team has had a great season.”
Townrow’s contract at Needham Market ends this season. But he still has the option of extending it at Bloomfields for another year.
Witham v Harlow, Ryman North play-off final, Spa Road, Sunday, May 4, 3pm