TRANSFER LATEST: Steven Gillespie leaves Colchester United for Fleetwood Town
STEVEN Gillespie has called time on his injury-hit time at Colchester United after agreeing to join League Two new boys Fleetwood Town on a two-year deal.
Gillespie, who scored 25 goals from 46 starts and 50 appearances from the bench for the U’s, signed for an undisclosed fee which enabled him to return to his native North West.
Executive chairman Robbie Cowling said: “When we were approached and were offered the fee, it was one where we felt that we couldn’t turn it down.
“We are working hard for next season and the transfer fee we have received goes into the budgets for John to work with next season.
“At this stage, the manager is working all of the time to bring people in and focusing his attention on bringing in replacements to have us ready for next season.
You may also want to watch:
“There is still plenty of time yet for him to achieve that for the start of the season in nine weeks time.
“The Fleetwood interest gave him a chance to move back to Liverpool, and he was keen to achieve that. I would like to take this opportunity to wish Steven all of the best at his new club.”
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market