TRANSFER NEWS: Anthony Wordsworth joins Rotherham United on loan
- Credit: contributed/ITFC
Ipswich Town midfielder Anthony Wordsworth has joined Championship rivals Rotherham United on loan, just a day after manager Mick McCarthy publicly placed him on the transfer list.
The 25-year-old becomes the fifth player that featured for Town last season to move to the newly-promoted Millers, joining Scott Loach, Frazer Richardson, Paul Green and Paul Taylor at The New York Stadium. Like Taylor, Wordsworth’s loan will run until January.
The ex-Colchester United man could make his debut for Steve Evans’ side at Millwall tomorrow.
McCarthy said: “Woody has been here for 18 months now, maybe more, maybe it’s two years. Anyway, he’s not made much more than 10 appearances, whether that’s been through injuries or not being picked.
“He has to go and play. He wants his career to back on the rails and if I’m not picking him over 18 months then it’s time I did something else.
You may also want to watch:
“Teddy Bishop has come through the academy and is doing well and I’ve signed Kevin Bru, who is also doing well. It’s time to change things around I think.”
Asked if there was a chance Wordsworth’s move could become permanent in the New Year, the Blues boss said: “That’s not even been mentioned. Steve Evans has lost Paul Green to quite a nasty injury and he just needed a replacement.”
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 4 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Missing person from Braintree has been found