TRANSFER NEWS: Darren Ambrose is an Ipswich Town player again after signing short-term deal
- Credit: James Ager
Darren Ambrose is an Ipswich Town player once again after signing a short-term deal at the club.
The 30-year-old midfielder came through the academy at Playford Road, made his debut against Arsenal aged 18 in 2002 and ended up making 38 appearances for the club before a £1m switch to Newcastle in 2003.
Stints at Charlton, Crystal Palace and Birmingham followed and, following a year on loan at Greek side Apollon Smyrni, he was released by Lee Clark’s Championship side in the summer.
The Essex-born player had trials at Colchester and Blackpool, spent the last few weeks training with Town’s first team, featured in two Under-21 matches and has sufficiently impressed to be offered a contract until January.
This will be Ambrose’s third spell at Portman Road as he made nine appearances for the club on loan in 2008/09.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, teenage duo Matthew Clarke and Teddy Bishop have both put pen-to-paper on new two-year contracts, with the option of a third.
Towering centre-back Clarke played in the Capital One Cup match at Crawley Town last month, while central midfielder Bishop made his full debut in the 1-1 Championship draw at derby recently. They had both signed one-year professional deals in the summer after graduating from the academy set-up.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for full interview with Darren Ambrose.