Trawlerboys hit for six at FC United as Chelmsford City win under Maher

Danny Crow scored for Lowestoft at FC United

Danny Crow scored for Lowestoft at FC United - Credit: Archant

National League North and South round-up.

National North FC United 6 Lowestoft Town 1

Lowestoft Town slumped to a dismal 6-1 defeat at FC United of Manchester in National League North on Saturday.

After the Blues’ tactical plan of three at the back was binned inside the first five minutes due to injury to Andrew Fisk, there was a sense it would be a long afternoon.

Halfway through the first period, the Trawlerboys failed to clear an innocuous looking cross and the ball fell to left back Chris Chantler, making his home debut, to fire low beyond another debutant, Mark Smith, in the Town goal.

If the Blues’ defending for the opening goal was poor, it was to get far worse in the final moments of the first half.

In injury time, FC United skipper Tom Greaves, was given an age in the Town box to fire home beyond Smith, despite twice miscontrolling. Moments later, centre back Lewis Lacy was given all the time in the world to score after his header from a corner had initially been stopped on the line.

Most Read

At 3-0 down, Town did up their game briefly at the start of the second half and their best passing move saw Harvey Hodd’s effort blocked on 54 minutes.

It was a brief respite and the defensive problems arose again on 62 minutes, as Lacy was allowed another free header from a corner. Keeper Smith failed to gather the weak effort and Sam Madeley tapped home.

The home fans, who sang throughout, were momentarily silenced nine minutes later when sub Danny Crow’s volleyed flick from a Shaun Bammant cross snuck in at the near post.

But they had more to sing about as FC United sub Greg Daniels tangled with Jack Ainsley by the corner flag and wriggled free of his man before rifling home from an acute angle on 80 minutes.

The coup de grace came in stoppage time as another sub, Craig Lindfield, was left all alone to volley home number six from six yards.

National South Chelmsford City 4 Whitehawk 3

Chelmsford City recorded their first home win since mid-September as Kevin Maher’s spell in interim charge succumbed Whitehawk to a 4-3 defeat.

Paul Lorraine’s own goal in Whitehawk’s first league game of 2016 came before the fifth minute mark, and it got Maher’s spell as interim manager off to a flying start.

Jason Williams then headed home on the line to make it two, before Jack Robinson halved the deficit for the Hawks.

Jack Bridge added a third when he broke and slotted past Craig Ross before winning a penalty after Chris Sessegnon took his legs away.

While Billy Bricknell watched on as his spot-kick was touched onto the crossbar on the stroke of half-time, he made amends a minute before the hour-mark, slamming a shot home after picking the ball up from Bridge to make sure.

Whitehawk’s Sergio Torres looked to make a change in the script with his goal late on, and Danny Mills added a third in stoppage time, but the Clarets managed to record a first win at home since the 5-2 victory over Concord on September 14.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter