Trophy woe for Colchester United despite Macauley Bonne brace
Northampton Town 3 Colchester United 2
Colchester United bowed out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, at the first hurdle, beaten by League Two hosts Northampton Town at Sixfields tonight.
The U’s were punished for slow starts to both halves, and so are still searching for their first win of the season after seven league and cup games.
Cobblers striker, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, broke the deadlock after just eight minutes, by chesting home Sam Hoskins’ teasing cross from inside the six-yard box.
The U’s equalised on 32 minutes, thanks to Macauley Bonne’s excellent header at the far post, from Callum Harriott’s cross.
You may also want to watch:
But Northampton regained their lead within five minutes of the restart, at the beginning of the second half.
It was a cracking goal. Midfielder Ryan Watson capped a strong run through the middle with a stunning shot that beat Elliot Parish all ends up.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
The U’s equalised for the second time of the match, via Bonne’s second of the night, in the 83rd minute.
Bonne showed his deadly finishing instincts by racing onto Harriott’s inch-perfect pass to slot over the advancing keeper, Ryan Clarke.
However, the Cobblers grabbed victory just two minutes later, with substitute Marc Richards diverting home Watson’s cross-cum-shot from point blank range.
NORTHAMPTON: Clarke, Yates (sub Lelan, 46), Cresswell, McDonald, Buchanan, Watson, Corry (sub Taylor, 73), D’Ath, Potter, Hoskins, Calvert-Lewin (sub Richards, 80). Unused subs: Smith, Hackett.
COLCHESTER: Parish, Wynter, Kent, Elokobi, Briggs, Garvan, Moncur, Szmodics, Sembue-Ferris (sub Wright, 60), Bonne, Harriott. Unused subs: Barnes, Edwards, Massey, Eastman.
Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambs)
Attendance: 1,366 (111 away fans)