Two on the trot for in-form Robinson
There was no stopping Hugo Robinson in the CC Ashwell cyclo-cross at Baldock.
The 15-year-old XRT/Elmy Cycles star led into the first corner, fought off a challenge from Corley Cycles rider Greg Simcock and, finely judging the slippery grass corners, cruised to victory.
Behind Robinson a group formed and Robinson’s team-mate Nathan Miller kept the pace down a touch to help the escape. None of the other leaders were able to mount an effective chase to catch the Debenham schoolboy.
Shaun Aldous (Extreme Sports Therapy) joined from behind at about the time Andy Waterman (Dulwich Paragon) escaped to claim second place.
With Miller (XRT) and Simcock still feeling the effects of the Three Peaks race last week, Aldous went ahead to take third and Andrew Nichols (Cambridge University CC) secured fifth – retaining the senior league leadership, given that Robinson is in the separate junior category.
You may also want to watch:
The veterans and women’s race was “flat out all the way”, according to Geoff Bores, the winner at Chelmsford – the school playing field at Baldock offered no long descents where a breather might be had.
Visitor Dave McMullen was the clear winner with Tim Butler (Ipswich BC) taking second and maximum league points.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 7 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 8 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
Three riders dominated the youth event – eventual winner Josh Parkin (VC Londres) who won from a last lap attack, Sean Dunlea (PCA/Ciclos Uno) and Alan Trolove (West Suffolk Wheelers) who ended up third after a fall.
RESULTS - Eastern Cyclo-Cross League round 3, Baldock
Seniors, Juniors, Elite Veterans
1 Hugo Robinson Jun (XRT-Elmy Cycles) 9 laps in 57:14; 2 Andy Waterman 1st Senior (Dulwich Paragon) +0:53; 3 Shaun Aldous (Extreme Sports Therapy) +1:16; 4 Kevin Knox 1st Elite Vet (Dulwich Paragon) +1:31; 5 Andrew Nichols (Cambridge Uni) +2:04; 6 Gary Lingard Elite Vet (CC Hackney) +2:22; 7 Nathan Miller (XRT-Elmy Cycles) +2:58; 8 Greg Simcock (Team Corley Cycles) +3:09; 9 Gavin Rumbles Elite Vet (CC Luton) +3:10; 10 Matthew Cook (WV Eemland) +3:33. Women, Veterans
1 Dave McMullen Vet 50+ (Evans Cycles) 5 laps in 35:39; 2 Tim Butler Vet 50+ (Ipswich BC) +1:43; 3 Bob Pisolker Vet 50+ (Finsbury Park) +2:46; 4 Lee Desborough 1st Vet (St Ives CC) +2:47; 5 Geoff Bores Vet 50+ (Ford CC) +3:03; 6 Philip Cooper 1st Vet 60+ +3:09 14 Claire Beaumont 1st Woman (Rapha Condor) +5:15; Youth 1 Josh Parkin (Velo Club Londres) 4 laps in 26:37; 2 Sean Dunlea (PCA Ciclos Uno) +0:01; 3 Alan Trolove (West Suffolk Whls) +0:14, 10 Keira McVitty 1st Girl (Kings Cliffe Flyers) +3:58.
1 Georg Jensen (Lee Valley Youth CC) 5 laps in 10:15; 2 Ben Tulitt 1st U10 (Palmer Park Velo) +0:24; 3 Zak Coleman (Gt Yarmouth CC) +0:28.