U's are all set for a deserved break
GOLDEN Boot winner Jamie Cureton deserves his holiday after slamming home 24 goals for Colchester United this season.Cureton suffered an off-day in front of goal, failing to add to his tally as the U's ended their historic first ever season in the Championship with a 2-0 home defeat by Crystal Palace yesterday.
By Carl Marston
GOLDEN Boot winner Jamie Cureton deserves his holiday after slamming home 24 goals for Colchester United this season.
Cureton suffered an off-day in front of goal, failing to add to his tally as the U's ended their historic first ever season in the Championship with a 2-0 home defeat by Crystal Palace yesterday.
But Geraint Williams' men still finished the season in a superb 10th spot, and Cureton has taken it upon himself to organise the team's holiday.
“I've been sorting out our holiday. We're all off to Marbella, and I've been arranging all the flights on the internet,” revealed Cureton.
“It's a shame to have lost our final game of the season. It just wasn't my day. The keeper made four or five great saves, and I also hit the post late on.
- 1 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 2 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 3 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 13 years behind bars for man who killed a dad out celebrating with family
- 7 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 8 Death of Sophie Riley was misadventure, inquest jury concludes
- 9 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 10 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
“I couldn't have wished to score 24 goals. It's been my best ever season, in terms of scoring and my overall play. I feel very pleased to have won the Golden Boot at this high level. I still have a year on my contract, and I have no plans to go anywhere.
“Chris (Iwelumo) and I have struck up a really good partnership, and it would be a shame if Chris was to leave. But he has to think about the best deal for his family, as has Richard Garcia. It's a pity that both have not already been signed up,” added Cureton.
Both Iwelumo and Garcia are out-of-contract this summer.