U’s win Essex derby against Southend in Trophy
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Checkatrade Trophy Southern Group B Colchester United 2 Southend United 0 Colchester United claimed an Essex derby victory over rivals Southend United in their Checkatrade Trophy clash tonight, prevailing 2-0 at home.
The U’s took the lead after 39 minutes, when Frankie Kent headed home a long throw from Ryan Jackson.
And the home side extended their advantage shortly after the break, when striker Aaron Collins, on loan from Wolves, finished a fine move by sweeping the ball home on 49 minutes.
It was a game the U’s realistically needed to win to stay alive in Southern Group B of the Trophy, having lost to Southampton Under 21s in their first group clash.
The Saints youngsters were soundly beaten 4-0 by Cambridge United in the other game in the group tonight. The results leave all four teams with a win and a loss from their first two games, so there’s all to play for. The U’s travel to Cambridge on Tuesday, November 13.
You may also want to watch:
John McGreal’s men return to League Two matters this Saturday, hosting Crawley.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 9 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints