U’s boss happy as Freddie Sears brace rattles Rams
Colchester United 2 Derby County 2
FREDDIE Sears scored a quality brace in tonight’s pre-season friendly against Championship visitors Derby County.
Sears crashed home two excellent shots, from the edge of the box, on 42 and 55 minutes as the U’s came within a whisker of beating the Rams.
Magnus Okuonghae had scored an unfortunate own goal after just nine minutes, following a break-down in communications between the U’s defender and keeper Mark Cousins.
But Sears’ stunning double, boosting his tally to six goals in pre-season, looked to have secured the U’s a notable win until substitute Theo Robinson grabbed an equaliser with virtually the last kick of the game.
You may also want to watch:
U’s boss John Ward said: “I just felt we were a little bit shy of it in the first half, but this was still an encouraging display.
“We scored a very good goal to equalise, and then at half-time we just told the boys to go out and play against them.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 5 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 6 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 10 Tribute to Kaine, 24, at estate's new underpass mural
“Derby are a very good side and we think they are going to be a top 10 Championship team.
“But we pit out wits against them,” added Ward.
COLCHESTER TEAM: Cousins, Wilson, Okuonghae (sub Eastman, 76), Heath, Rose, Izzet (sub Bean, 68), Bond, Wordsworth (sub O’Toole, 68), Henderson, Morrison (sub Ladapo, 79), Sears.
DERBY STARTING XI: Fielding, Brayford, Buxton, Keogh, O’Connor, Bryson, Hendrick, Coutts, Ward, Tyson, Jacobs.