U’s bring in loan striker
COLCHESTER United have signed versatile young striker Liam Henderson on loan from Championship club Watford.
The Newcastle-born 20-year-old scored a hat-trick for Watford’s reserves against the U’s last season and also played in a recent second string fixture between the two sides.
The towering front man – who can also play out wide – scored 29 goals in 44 appearances for The Hornets’ reserves last season having made eight appearances on loan at Hartlepool in League One at the back end of the 2008/9 season. He has made 21 substitute appearances for Watford over the last two seasons, but is yet to score at first team level.
Henderson joins Colchester until the start of the next transfer window in January and will be in contention for the U’s trip to Southampton on Saturday.
“Liam is a young, hungry player, is six foot plus and will add great competition to the squad,” said U’s boss John Ward, who admitted after Saturday’s 1-1 home draw with Plymouth that he was looking for reinforcements to his forward line.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been without Steven Gillespie (ankle) and Ian henderson (knee) missed out on Saturday, so it was good to add to our striking options.
“He won’t just provide competition for David Mooney and Kayode Odejayi centrally, he can operate in the wider positions as well.”
- 1 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
– Full story in tomorrow’s EADT.