U's crumble in second-half horror show
Colchester 1 Coventry City 5By Mike BaconCoventry City scored five goals in the second half in an astonishing turnaround at Layer Road today.The relegation-threatened midlanders took the U's apart after Geraint Williams' side had gone in at the interval a goal ahead.
Colchester 1 Coventry City 5
By Mike Bacon
Coventry City scored five goals in the second half in an astonishing turnaround at Layer Road today.
The relegation-threatened midlanders took the U's apart after Geraint Williams' side had gone in at the interval a goal ahead.
You may also want to watch:
That goal was scored by Scott Vernon as the U's were good value, but a debacle of a second half saw them booed off the pitch.
Within three minutes of the second half, Coventry were ahead through goals from Best and Fox, and two penalties from Ward and another goal from Doyle sealed the most comfortable of victories for relegation-threatened City.
- 1 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 8 Crash between two motorbikes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
While the home side are already having to look forward to life in League One next season, they would have hoped for better than this and certainly manager Williams will have expected a lot more.