U’s cut to ribbons by Daggers, as Magnus sees red
Dagenham & Redbridge 4 Colchester United 1
Colchester United bowed out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at the first round tonight, defeated at League Two hosts Dagenham & Redbridge.
It was looking so good for the U’s at half-time, with Brian Wilson’s 38th minute free-kick giving them a deserved lead.
But the visitors endured a disastrous second half, conceding four goals and also having defender Magnus Okuonghae sent off for two bookable offences.
Former U’s player Medy Elito headed home a 53rd minute equaliser, and a minute after Okuonghae was shown the red card, Daggers defender Brian Saah swept home from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Zavon Hines steered home the third in the 79th minute, with the ball seeming to ricochet in off keeper Sam Walker at his near post, before substitute Louis Dennis completed the rout when put clean through on 85 minutes.
All in all this was a miserable evening for Joe Dunne’s men.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles