U’s draw Sunderland
Colchester United have been handed a trip to Premier League side Sunderland in the Carling Cup second round following Tuesday night’s 3-0 win at Hereford United.
COLCHESTER have been handed a trip to Premier League side Sunderland in the Carling Cup second round following Tuesday night’s 3-0 win at Hereford United.
The long trip to the north east will come between Colchester’s trip to Rochdale on Saturday 21 August and their home game against Carlisle United the following Friday.
The U’s have had some disappointing cup draws in recent years – only 13 of the last 47 have come at home – but Colchester boss John Ward is relishing the chance to take on Steve Bruce’s men at The Stadium of Light.
“It’s a great game for the players, but I suspect it will be an awkward one for the fans.
You may also want to watch:
“A Tuesday night game at Sunderland is a long trip for all concerned and plenty of expense. However, knowing our fans, I am sure they will make provisions to get up there and back us.
“I spoke to the players before the game at Hereford and said, if we got it right, we could get a game like this one.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
“The games in quick succession will be fine, we knew that would be the case if we got through.
“We’ve already spoken about how to manage it with regards to travelling and recovery, so my staff are on the ball. We’ll be ready by the time we take them on.”