U’s drawn against rivals Wycombe
COLCHESTER United have been drawn away at rivals Wycombe Wanderers in the first round of the Carling Cup.
The game at Adams Park will be played in the first week of the season (commencing August 8), with league fixtures to be announced at 9am tomorrow morning.
Almost 100 miles may seperate the two clubs, but a fierce rivalry was born in the mid 80s when an FA Cup match between the sides as Loakes Park was marred by crowd trouble.
And the fixture’s ‘derby’ status was sealed in the 1991/92 season when the U’s pipped Wycombe – then managed by Martin O’Neill – to the Conference title.
It means that Colchester will play Wycombe at least three times next season following the Chairboys’ promotion back to League One.
You may also want to watch:
This is also the second successive season the teams have been drawn against each other in the cup. Last year Wycombe won 2-0 at The Weston Hoems Community Stadium in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.
Colchester were seeded in the southern section of the draw meaning they could only be drawn against teams that finished in the bottom half of League One or that played in League Two last season.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 7 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
After beating League Two side Hereford 3-0 away in the Carling Cup first round last season, John Ward’s side lost 2-0 at Premier League side Sunderland.
– For a summary of Colchester’s League One fixtures for 2011/12, see this website tomorrow morning.