U’s duo could be loaned out
COLCHESTER United could let Steven Gillespie and Simon Hackney leave the club on a temporary basis before the emergency loan window closes next Thursday.
Left-winger Hackney played 60 minutes of a 4-1 closed-doors friendly win at Watford on Tuesday having missed the majority of the season with a back injury.
Gillespie missed that game as he made the last bit of recovery from his thigh injury, but was due to play in an in-house training match involving the youth team this morning.
With injuries having restricted both players this season, U’s boss Ward says both could be loaned out for match fitness over the coming week.
Gillespie was set to join former club Cheltenham on loan before his latest injury and that deal could be resurrected, while Hackney enjoyed his time on loan at Morecambe towards the end of last season.
You may also want to watch:
“If those two go out on loan then I think it will be of benefit to us for them to get some competitive football rather than reserve team matches,” said Ward.
“But if they end up staying here then I’ll be very pleased to have two more players fit and available and giving me more options for the first team.”
- 1 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 3 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 6 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 7 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
- 8 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 9 Military helicopter recovered after emergency landing in field
Young third choice keeper Carl Pentney is already on loan at Blue Square Premier club Bath City, while winger Medy Elito scored on his debut for loan club Dagenham & Redbridge in a League One match at Yeovil last weekend.
Defender Tom Bender, who has just returned from the Wales Under-21 set-up, as well as fellow teenager Sam Corcoran are currently on the loan list.
– More Colchester United news to follow on www.greenun24.co.uk and in tomorrow’s East Anglian Daily Times.