U’s game postponed
COLCHESTER United’s home game against Swindon Town tomorrow afternoon has been postponed, because of a waterlogged pitch.
The pitch at the Weston Homes Community Stadium was inspected by a local official this afternoon, who advised match referee Tim Robinson to call off the game 24 hours before kick-off, due to a waterlogged surface and also the promise of more rain to come.
The Essex club had hoped for another inspection to be arranged for tomorrow morning.
U’s boss Joe Dunne and Swindon assistant manager Fabrizio Piccareta were both in attendance for today’s pitch inspection.
Speaking after the postponment, Dunne explained: “It’s disappointing, but I understand why the official made the decision.
“The pitch is waterlogged, it is very heavy down the middle, and if the match had been played, it would have been a throw-back to the 1970s!”
- 1 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 2 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 3 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 13 years behind bars for man who killed a dad out celebrating with family
- 7 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 8 Death of Sophie Riley was misadventure, inquest jury concludes
- 9 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 10 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town