U’s get back to winning ways
COLCHESTER United’s promotion ambitions are firmly back on track following an excellent win over high-flying Swindon.
The Robins came into this game second in the table following five wins from six and they completely dominated the first half.
However, with Charlie Austin missing a sitter from close range and Gordon Greer hitting the crossbar, the U’s somehow led at the break courtesy of Ashley Vincent’s 24th minute goal – the winger finishing at the third time of asking following two stops at the near post from keeper David Lucas.
Colchester had looked nervy in the first half but they improved significantly after the break.
The three points were sealed in the 70th minute when Anthony Wordsworth curled home from the edge of the box following Kevin Lisbie’s lay off.
You may also want to watch:
And Wordsworth put a slightly flattering gloss on the result in stoppage time when finishing off a classic counter-attacking move.
The victory – Colchester’s first in nine games – sees the U’s move back level on points with sixth-place Huddersfield following their defeat at Brentford.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- Full match report and reaction in Monday’s EADT.