U's keeper Gerken linked to Hammers
COLCHESTER United keeper, Dean Gerken, has been linked with a move to Premiership side West Ham.Hammers boss Alan Curbishley could swoop to sign Gerken in a deal believed to be worth £500,000 this summer.
COLCHESTER United keeper, Dean Gerken, has been linked with a move to Premiership side West Ham.
Hammers boss Alan Curbishley could swoop to sign Gerken in a deal believed to be worth £500,000 this summer.
Gerken became the U's No. 1 this season, as a successor to Aidan Davison, who is also his goalkeeping coach.
You may also want to watch:
The 22-year-old made his full debut back in 2004, while he was an understudy to senior keepers Simon Brown and Richard McKinney.
Since then, he has developed into an outstanding keeper. One of his many admirers is England's former goalkeeping coach, Ray Clemence. Southend-born Gerken really came of age during the U's first season in the Championship last term. He made just two appearances before the beginning of December, but an injury to Davison gave him his chance, and he went on to be ever-present during the last 27 games of the campaign.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 7 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
Gerken was named the U's young-player-of-the-season last term, and has played all but six of this season's fixtures.
He is on a long-term contract with the U's, but West Ham could be in line to make a tempting offer this summer, especially as the Essex club are destined to be in League One next season.
And it is believed a clause in Gerken's contract would be triggered by at £500,000 bid.
U's boss Geraint Williams said last night West Ham's interest was news to him.