U’s lose scrappy Essex derby
npower League One Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Colchester Utd 0
BAS Savage’s scrappy first half goal proved enough for Dagenham & Redbridge to see off Colchester United in a scrappy Essex derby.
Savage side-footed home a loose ball in the box after Romain Vincelot had somehow bundled his way through a series of challenges in the 11th minute.
That proved to be the winner as both sides showed little quality on a bobbly surface and the home side’s five-man midfield crowded out the visitors at Victoria Road.
Ian Henderson fired inches the wrong side of the near post and also had a goal ruled out for offside in the first half, but in truth the U’s rarely threatened.
You may also want to watch:
There were a few boos from the frustrated visiting fans at the break and introduction of Steven Gillespie off the bench at the interval failed to lift John Ward’s team.
Jon Nurse headed a corner just wide for Dagenham, while Anthony Wordsworth chipped onto the roof of the net in what as even more forgettable second half.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
There were yet more boos from the away fans at the end as Colchester slipped even further off the top isx.
– Reaction to follow. Full match report in tomorrow’s EADT.
DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE (4-5-1): Roberts; Ogogo, Doe, Arber (cpt), Ilesanmi; Green, Taiwo, Vincelot, Gain, Nurse; Savage (Morgan 65).
Unused Subs: Lewington; Ifil, Walsh; Bingham, Currie, Tomlin.
Booked: Green (85).
COLCHESTER UTD (4-4-1-1): Williams; White, Heath, Clarke, Coker; Henderson, James (Gillespie 46), Izzet, Wordsworth (Vincent 74); Bond; Odejayi (O’Toole 81).
Unused Subs: Cousins; Baldwin, Beevers; Perkins.
Booked: James (32).
Referee: Mr G Ward.