‘It’s not about me’ – U’s boss McGreal on his Rovers return
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, will be back on familiar turf when he takes his U’s team to Tranmere Rovers this weekend.
McGreal spent nine years as a senior professional at Prenton Park, after the Birkenhead-born defender had graduated from the youth team set-up.
He rattled up 195 league games during that time, and 233 in all competitions, before moving onto Ipswich Town.
This weekend will bring back happy memories for 46-year-old McGreal, who will cross swords with one of his old team-mates at Rovers, current boss Micky Mellon (also 46).
But McGreal remains focused on one thing – guiding his U’s team to another League Two away triumph, following a 3-1 win at Cheltenham Town last Saturday.
“I’ll be pleased to go back,” enthused McGreal, following this morning’s training session at Florence Park.
“I was delighted to see Tranmere get back into the Football League (play-off win over Boreham Wood in May).
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 5 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 6 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 9 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
“Micky Mellon has done really well there over the last couple of years, and I’ll be speaking to him soon because I need to get lots of tickets for my family and friends!
“But it’s not about me, it’s about our football club, Colchester United,” added McGreal.