U’s narrowly beat woeful Rovers
npower League One Bristol Rovers 0 Colchester Utd 1
COLCHESTER United won at Bristol Rovers for the first time in their history tonight to keep alive their hopes of a top six finish.
Kayode Odejayi’s 22nd minute goal was enough to seal the U’s a much-needed away victory – the Essex side having drawn two and lost eight of their previous 10 games on their travels.
It was largely a positive night for John Ward’s men – midfielder John-Joe O’Toole making a 12 minute cameo following over 10 months out with a cruciate knee ligament injury – with the only real disappointment being that they did not kill off the woeful hosts.
Jean-Paul Kalala cleared no fewer than three corners off the line for the Pirates, while Odejayi saw a volley and a one-on-one saved in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Odejayi’s was gifted his first goal in over three months when keeper Conrad Logan mis-kicked the ball straight into one of his own defenders to allow him a clear run on goal.
It is the first time a U’s striker has scored away from home in the league in just under a year.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 3 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 4 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 5 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 6 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 8 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 9 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 10 600 protesters form 'human wall' to oppose Sizewell C sea defences
– Reaction to follow.
BRISTOL ROVERS: Logan; Senda, Coles (cpt), Ifil, Hughes; Williams, Lines, Kalala, Kuffour; Hoskins (Richards 86), Howe (Davies 68).
Unused Subs: Green, Blizzard, Bolger, Reece, Cooper.
COLCHESTER UTD: Williams; Beevers, Clarke, Heath, Coker; Bond, Izzet (O’Toole 78), James; Henderson (Vincent 90), Wordsworth, Odejayi (Gillespie 73).
Unused Subs: Cousins, Baldwin, Perkins, Mooney.
U’s Man-of-the-Match: James
Referee: Mr Michael Naylor