U's sail through to next round.
FA Cup first roundBromley 0 Colchester United 4COLCHESTER United eased into the second round of the FA Cup with a comfortable victory over non-league side Bromley.
FA Cup first round
Bromley 0 Colchester United 4
COLCHESTER United eased into the second round of the FA Cup with a comfortable victory over non-league side Bromley.
You may also want to watch:
The U's - who have been knocked out at the first hurdle in the previous three seasons - always looked in control against their Blue Square South hosts.
Having seen out an early barrage, the Kent side were just beginning to settle when Colchester took control with a quick-fire double around the half hour mark.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 5 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 6 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 7 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 10 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
First, in the 32nd minute, Kayode Odejayi clipped the ball across the box for winger Simon Hackney expertly to volley high into the net from just inside the box.
Then, three minutes later, the referee played good advantage following a foul on Clive Platt in midfield and Odejayi raced clear to double the lead.
Colchester were rarely threatened and, in a highly professional display, they added a third in the second half when Clive Platt headed home David Fox's 71st minute corner.
Substitute Steven Gillespie then put the icing on the cake in the 89th minute when he headed home David Fox's deep cross.
- Check back on this website for post match reaction.
Bromley: Gareth I Williams, Tutu Henriques (Aaron Dalhouse 82), Harrison Dunk, Donal O'Sullivan, Rob Gillman (cpt), Ashley Carew, Ryan Dolby (Marcus Cassius 52), Mark Corneille, Luke l'Anson, Warren McBean (Gareth A Williams 46), Jacob Erskine.
Unused Subs: Neale Manning, Salifou Ibrahima, Nicky Greene, Robbie Kember.
Booked: Corneille (49).
Colchester: Ben Williams, John White, Marc Tierney, Magnus Okuonghae, Danny Batth, Phil Ifil, Simon Hackney (Medi Elito 79), David Fox, John-Joe O'Toole, Clive Platt (Joel Thomas 84), Kayode Odejayi (Steven Gillespie 72).
Unused Subs: Mark Cousins, Pat Baldwin, Alan Maybury, Paul Reid.
Booked: O'Toole (52),Okuonghae (56).