U’s sign Billy Clifford from Chelsea
COLCHESTER United have signed 20-year-old Billy Clifford on loan from Chelsea.
U’s boss Joe Dunne watched Clifford in action for Chelsea Under-21s on Thursday night, and has since signed the midfielder on loan for a month.
He is expected to go straight into tomorrow’s squad, to face fellow strugglers Scunthorpe United, especially as the U’s will be without the midfield duo of Anthony Wordsworth (first of a two-match suspension) and Kem Izzet (ankle injury).
“Billy has been in Chelsea’s first-team squad on occasions already and I have been very impressed with what I’ve seen of him,” enthused Dunne.
Clifford will wear the No. 41 shirt for the U’s.
You may also want to watch:
He has been at Stamford Bridge since the age of seven, and although he spent most of the first year of his scholarship as a right-back, he is best equipped as a midfielder.
Clifford signed his first professional contract in the summer of 2010, having been an integral part of Chelsea’s FA Youth Cup success. He was a mainstay of the reserves last season.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 7 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 8 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards