U’s slump to defeat at Meadow Lane

Notts County 3 Colchester United 1

COLCHESTER United suffered a defeat at Notts County this afternoon, undone by two late goals from substitutes Yoann Arquin and Romello Nangle.

The U’s looked to be heading for a point, when Jabo Ibehre’s close-range effort on 37 minutes cancelled out Jeff Hughes’ 18th minute opener.

But Arquin, who had only been on the pitch for three minutes, headed home Alan Sheehan’s pinpoint corner to take all three points for the Magpies.

And to rub salt into the wounds, fellow substitute Nangle burst through late on to net a soft third, following more sloppy defensive work from the visitors.

You may also want to watch:

As a result, the U’s advantage over the bottom four has been cut from six to five points, due to Scunthorpe’s 1-1 home draw against Walsall. Fellow strugglers Oldham won 1-0 at Bury.

U’s boss Dunne made two changes to the side that beat Leyton Orient 2-1 at home last weekend.

Most Read

Bradley Garmston replaced the injured Josh Thompson in defence, with John White operating as a centre-half, while Bond came in for Billy Clifford to stiffen up the midfield.

But the visitors struggled to get going inside the first half-hour, and they duly fell behind to Hughes’ opener in the 19th minute.

Midfielder Hughes prodded County in front, to punish the U’s for a glaring miss by Jabo Ibehre just two minutes earlier – Ibehre had headed Garmston’s corner over the bar from point blank range.

At the other end, Sam Walker could not keep out Hughes’ scrambled effort at the fra post, from Tyrell Waite’s cross, the ball crossing the line despite the best efforts of the Chelsea loanee.

Walker did come to the U’s rescue on 28 minutes, to prevent County moving into a 2-0 lead.

Alan Sheehan’s dangerous free kick was allowed to bounce and drop into the six-yard box, where Waite’s snap shot was superbly blocked by Walker.

The visitors were level in the 37th minute.

Bond and Drey Wright combined to good effect down the left wing, before Bond crossed low into the six-yard box for an unmarked Ibehre to steer home at the far post from just two yards out.

There were 13 minutes of stoppage-time at the end of the first half, due to an injury to David Wright, who collided with rival midfielder Joss Labadie in a 50-50 challenge.

Wright seemed to be knocked out, and received seven minutes of treatment on the pitch before being stretchered off. However, he was conscious and talking in the treatment room during the half-time interval.

In a second-half of few chances, it was substitute Arquin who effectively snatched victory for the Magpies with his firm header, just 13 minutes from time.

Nangle made the game safe for the hosts late on.


NOTTS COUNTY: Bialkowski, Liddle, Leacock, Hollis, Sheehan, Campbell-Ryce, Hughes, Labadie, Thompson (sub Nangle, 88), Waite (sub Arquin, 74), Showunmi. Unused subs: Kelly, Smith, Bencherif, Tempest, Spiess.

COLCHESTER UNITED: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, White, Garmston, David Wright (sub O’Toole, 45+4), Bond, Massey, Morrison (sub Sears, 73), Drey Wright (sub Porter, 73), Ibehre. Unused subs: Heath, Bean, Clifford, Cousins.

Referee: Tony Harrington

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus