U's slump to disappointing defeat
COLCHESTER United slumped to a desperately disappointing home defeat at the hands of newly-promoted Scunthorpe this afternoon.It was a terrific solo effort from Paul Hayes that won the game for Iron in the 41st minute.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United slumped to a desperately disappointing home defeat at the hands of newly-promoted Scunthorpe this afternoon.
It was a terrific solo effort from Paul Hayes that won the game for Iron in the 41st minute. Paul Hayes showed good control in the box to deceive defender Adam Virgo and fire a first-time shot past Dean Gerken.
The U's will argue the point that they should have been awarded a penalty in the first-half. Left-back Kelly Youga appeared to foul Mark Yeates in the box, but referee Mr Woolmer declined to give the spot kick. It looked a good shout for a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
But in truth Geraint Williams' men were strangely out-of-sorts all afternoon. They carved our several chances, but were wayward with their finishing, and their deliveries into the box.
The U's have been impressive on the road this season, but they are struggling to find their form at Layer Road. In fact, they have mustered just two points from a possible 12 on home turf.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 9 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 10 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
They will hope to put the record straight at home to QPR on Wednesday evening.