U’s snap up a second new striker
COLCHESTER United have snapped up their second new striker in two days, by signing front-runner Michael Smith from Charlton Athletic.
Smith, 21, has been a regular in the Addicks’ under-21 squad this term.
He therefore joins Troy Hewitt, another striker who signed on loan from QPR yesterday.
Both are expected to go into the U’s squad for tomorrow’s visit of Crewe Alexandra, due to the absence of fellow strikers Freddie Sears (injured) and Jabo Ibehre (suspended).
Smith was initially signed by Charlton from his first club Darlington, for whom he bagged six goals in 37 outings.
You may also want to watch:
He made his Addicks first team debut in a Capital One Cup tie against Leyton Orient earlier this season, and has also been on loan in League Two at Accrington Stanley and Newport County, scoring three goals in six games for Stanley and four goals in eight league outings for Newport.
He has signed on loan for the U’s until April 6.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 7 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 8 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 9 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 10 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region