U’s soundly knocked out by the Glovers
Yeovil Town 3 Colchester United 0
COLCHESTER United bowed out of the Capital One Cup at the first hurdle tonight, effectively beaten by a brace of headers from Yeovil centre-half Richard Hinds.
The dominant Hinds was the unlikely match-winner with two first-half goals, both stemming from corners by Ed Upson in the fourth and 43rd minutes.
Substitute Keanu Marsh-Brown added a third in the 79th minute to seal Colchester’s fate, and ensure a miserable journey home from Somerset.
Dreadful defending from the first corner proved the U’s early undoing.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors could not clear their lines, following Upson’s delivery into the six-yard box, and the loose ball eventually dropped at the feet of Hinds.
Yeovil’s tall centre-half gleefully rifled home an eight-yard shot low into the net, to chalk up the Glovers’ first goal in the League Cup for four years.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 5 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 6 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Tribute to Kaine, 24, at estate's new underpass mural
- 10 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
Two minutes before half-time and Hinds doubled Yeovil’s lead with his second goal, again from a corner. This time he met Upson’s delivery with a diving header that soared into the roof of the net.
Marsh-Brown’s late strike merely added salt to the wounds.
YEOVIL TOWN: Stech, Ayling, Hinds, Webster, McAllister, Ugwu (sub Young, 70), Blizzard, Upson, Foley (sub Ralph, 83), Hayter (sub Marsh-Brown, 70), Reid. Unused subs: Haynes-Brown, Stewart.
COLCHESTER UNITED: Cousins, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Rose, Izzet (sub O’Toole, 80), Bond, Henderson, Wordsworth, Wright (sub Duguid, 58), Morrison. Unused subs: Heath, Bean, White, Gilbey, Pentney.
Referee: Simon Hooper