‘Of course I meant it!’ – joked U’s goalscorer Mandron
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Mikael Mandron might not have known much about his goal, on the stroke of half-time, but it certainly helped Colchester United to claw back a two-goal deficit to draw 3-3 against Notts County.
Saturday was only Mandron’s fifth league start of the season, and his second goal.
Yet the 24-year-old’s rather fortuitous strike helped to earn the U’s what could prove to be a crucial point, in their quest for a top-seven finish.
“The goal just before half-time was huge,” insisted Mandron.
“They were 3-1 up, but you know that one goal just before half-time could change everything, and you saw just that when we came back out for the second half.
You may also want to watch:
“We had extra energy, and the goal really helped us.”
As regards the nature of the goal itself, Mandron joked: “Of course I meant it, absolutely. It was a good finish!
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 A12 closed following serious collision
- 5 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 6 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 10 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
“Basically, I got a touch and was trying to play a pass to Easty (Tom Eastman), I think, but the ball must have ricocheted off someone. The defender (Richard Duffy) tried to clear it, only to clear it onto me, and I scored!
“It doesn’t matter how you score, and I don’t mind how I score. It was another goal, and I was happy to help the team,” added Mandron.