U’s trio informed they will be released
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward has informed the trio of Medy Elito, Sam Corcoran and Morten Knudsen that they will be released this summer.
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward has informed the trio of Medy Elito, Sam Corcoran and Morten Knudsen that they will be released when their contracts expire this summer.
“I’ve sat down and spoken to them and said they can go and chat to other clubs,” said Ward this morning. “Those are the players that I have spoken to so far in that respect.
“Things move on within the squad and, having taken on the young boys from the youth team for next season (Bradley Hamilton, Jordan Sanderson and Craig Arnott), they will need space to move on and develop next year.” He added: “I have to admit that I don’t like that part of the job because it is something that affects their livelihoods and careers.
“I’ve learnt you just have to be straight up and say it how it is.
You may also want to watch:
“After telling them the news my second line to the players is that ‘just because we’re releasing you, it doesn’t mean that am I right about you as a player – it’s just my opinion’.
“These lads might go somewhere and prove me wrong and, if they manage to do that, I would pick the phone up and wish them well for their future.”
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 4 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 7 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 Ipswich Hospital confirms 'significant' Covid outbreak in past fortnight
- 10 'They don't trust me and I don't trust them' - Cook on 'jittery' atmosphere
A product of the youth team at Colchester, tricky winger Elito burst onto the scene during the club’s relegation season from the Championship and quickly earned England Under-19 honours.
He hasn’t been able to push on from that encouraging start though and has been limited to just a handful of U’s games over the past four seasons.
The 21-year-old has been on loan at Dagenham & Redbridge and Cheltenham this season, but saw his spell at the latter club cut short last month due to family commitments in London.
Corcoran, another youth team product, was released by Aidy Boothroyd last summer before Ward handed him another year to prove himself. The 20-year-old – whose only first team appearance for the club was as an 89th minute substitute under Paul Lambert – has been on loan at non-league clubs Wealdstone and Lowestoft this season.
Norweigian full-back Knudsen, 24, suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury soon after being signed on a free transfer by Boothroyd last January. He returned to fitness earlier this season but, despite making numerous reserve team appearances, hasn’t been included in the first team squad.
– Full story, plus the latest on John White’s contract, in tomorrow’s EADT.