UK: Andy Gray sacked by Sky Sports
TV presenter Andy Gray has been sacked by Sky Sports following comments he made over a female assistant referee.
Sky Sports announced the decision in a statement this afternoon.
Gray and co-presenter Richard Keys were stood down from Monday’s game between Bolton and Chelsea following comments they made about Sian Massey.
Believing their microphones were off, Keys and Gray agreed that Sian Massey and other female assistant referees “did not know the offside rule”.
Keys has said sorry to Massey, who has accepted the broadcaster’s apology. She is due to run the line at Gresty Road tonight, as Crewe entertain Bradford in a League Two encounter.
You may also want to watch:
However, new footage has emerged of Gray talking off-air with Sky Sports’ pitchside reporter Andy Burton about the female assistant referee before the match between Wolves and Liverpool.
It was reported that the pair discussed Massey’s appearance, while Gray asks: “What do women know about the offside rule?”
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 New-look Cobbold Stand finished - and what a difference it makes!
- 7 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Crash between two motorbikes
- 10 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
The 55-year-old and his colleague Keys have been the face of Sky Sports football coverage since the satellite broadcaster started showing English top-flight matches in 1992.