United salvage vital point
Chesterfield 2 Colchester United 2COLCHESTER United rallied from two goals down to earn a precious point at Chesterfield this afternoon.The U's endured a disastrous first 20 minutes at Saltergate, conceding two goals from Jamie O'Hara and Paul Hall.
By Carl Marston
Chesterfield 2 Colchester United 2
COLCHESTER United rallied from two goals down to earn a precious point at Chesterfield this afternoon.
The U's endured a disastrous first 20 minutes at Saltergate, conceding two goals from Jamie O'Hara and Paul Hall. Midfielder O'Hara broke the deadlock after only three minutes, while Hall tucked home an 18th minute penalty.
The U's were second best throughout the first-half, but they grabbed a lifeline when Mark Yeates capped a strong run by squeezing home a shot from a narrow angle, in the third and final minute of first-half injury-time.
That gave the U's genuine hope for the second period, and they duly grabbed the equaliser through Chris Iwelumo's crisp volley from Karl Duguid's cross in the 73rd minute.
- 1 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 4 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 5 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 6 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 7 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 8 Woman receives life ban from owning dogs after sheep were mauled
- 9 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 10 'Dedicated and devoted' - tributes paid to retired teacher Annick Smith
Chesterfield finished the game strongly, and they struck the woodwork through O'Hara in the 80th minute.
But United held on to secure a draw. Brentford and Huddersfield, their chief rivals for the second automatic promotion spot, also earned away draws.