UPDATED: Crystal Palace midfielder Owen Garvan reveals he is not returning to Ipswich Town

Owen Garvan, pictured on the bench for Crystal Palace

Owen Garvan, pictured on the bench for Crystal Palace - Credit: Ashley Pickering

Crystal Palace midfielder Owen Garvan has revealed will not be returning to Ipswich Town.

The 26-year-old – who made more than 150 appearances for the Blues after coming through their youth system – was a key part of the Eagles’ promotion winning side last season, played in the opening three games of this season but was then controversially left out of the Premier League club’s 25-man squad.

It led to a Twitter outburst from the Dubliner, who appeared to suggest that he would be at the club longer than manager Ian Holloway. That proved to be the case, Holloway walking away from Selhurst Park in October following a poor start to the season, with Tony Pulis replacing him.

Garvan spent the first half of the season struggling with the knee injury which kept him out for a prolonged spell in 2012/13 and only made his comeback for the Under-21s at towards the end of January.

Manager Mick McCarthy went to watch Palace’s Under-21 side beat Bristol City 2-0 on January 20, but Garvan lasted just 60 minutes after being forced off through injury. As a result, he has once again been left out of Palace’s 25-man squad and Ipswich have ended their interest.


You may also want to watch:


Garvan told the EADT and Ipswich Star: “There was a possibility of me going back there a few weeks ago, but not anymore.”

Holloway revealed last summer that Garvan suffers from patella tendonitis, saying: “He knows how to manage it, but when the pitch is hard that causes him a problem.”

Most Read

And it’s understood that injury concerns are the reason for Town cooling their interest.

Speaking last month, Garvan said: “I am back in training with the first team and I had a reserve team match, so hopefully I can get back in the manager’s plans, so we will wait and see what happens.

“It has taken me longer than planned to get back, but I am feeling good now and I just hope my chance will come. I am able to play, anyone at the club is eligible to play for this month as the 25-man squad does not kick in again until February.

“It has been frustrating as my aim all along was to be fit for January 1 as I knew I would be eligible to play, but I am close to full fitness, I have trained for a few days without a bad reaction, so now it’s just a question of whether I can force my way in soon.

“We have Stoke tomorrow in the league, then Wigan in the FA Cup and then Hull in midweek, so fingers crossed, those are three games that I’d like to be involved in and I might know where I stand in February.

“The manager has to name a 25-man squad again on February 1, so my aim is to get in there, this is a big month for me. It was a bit unfortunate what happened before, the falling-out.”

Three days after that interview he came off injured in an Under-21 game (watched by Mick McCarthy) and has not featured again since. Premier League clubs had to name their fresh 25-man squad yesterday, with Garvan again not making the cut.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus