MATCHDAY RECAP: Sluggish U’s slip up 2-1 against Northampton Town
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s home EFL League Two match against Northampton Town
Colchester United suffered their first league defeat of the season, beaten at home by previously win-less Northampton Town.
Matt Crooks broke the deadlock, in the 48th minute, and it was no more than the Cobblers deserved against a lack-lustre U’s, who never really got going until the final 20 minutes.
And substitute Billy Waters doubled the lead in the first minute of stoppage time to seal the away win.
Early in the second half and Crooks was allowed to power through the centre of the park unchallenged before arrowing a long-range shot past Dillon Barnes and into the bottom corner of the net, right in front of the travelling fans behind that goal.
You may also want to watch:
The closest the U’s got to an equaliser was when substitute Luke Norris, within 60 seconds of coming on, saw his thumping header cannon back off the bar on 79 minutes.
Waters then prodded home from point-blank range to effectively end the U’s challenge, as the game entered injury-time, although the hosts did halve the deficit just before the final whistle when Sammie Szmodics’s effort was saved, the ball going in off defender Aaron Pierre for an own goal.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 6 Go-ahead for 150 new homes in Suffolk village
- 7 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 10 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
• Re-live the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.