MATCHDAY RECAP: U’s slip to heart-breaking stoppage time 2-1 defeat at Lincoln City
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s EFL League Two match against Lincoln City at Sincil Bank.
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, admits his team has not scored enough goals to mount a big promotion push this season ahead of a League Two trip to play-off contenders Lincoln City.
The U’s have found themselves short of firepower this term, a problem that has held them back from mixing it with the Imps and sustaining a top-seven push, despite boasting the sixth best defensive record in League Two.
The likes of Chris Porter, Brennan Dickenson and Kurtis Guthrie all scored goals on a regular basis in 2016-17, when the U’s finished just one point and one place outside the play-offs with 67 goals scored in 46 matches.
Twelve months on and the U’s have managed just 52 goals from 43 outings. To make matters worse, leading scorer Sammie Szmodics (13 goals) has not scored in his last 13 appearances, and netted just one in his last 16 outings, while target man Mikael Mandron, the only other U’s player to reach double figures, has taken 41 games (46 in all competitions) to score 10 goals.
You may also want to watch:
“In a nutshell, we just haven’t taken our chances this season, explained McGreal.
“We had 14 to 16 shots against Notts County (3-1 home defeat on Saturday). We have been hitting these targets and numbers every week, playing with plenty of width and pace, but we’ve only got two players with double figures this year. That proves we haven’t been good enough in this area.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
• Follow all the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.