MATCHDAY RECAP: Battling Us stun promotion-chasing Luton in 2-1 win
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Pagepix
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s EFL League Two match against Luton Town at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
John McGreal, hailed his side’s “amazing win” over then-league leaders Luton in a thunderous League Two clash, played in awful weather conditions on Saturday.
The U’s never really look back from scoring twice early on, through centre-halves Tom Eastman and Luke Prosser, and they then weathered a late Luton storm in driving rain to clinch a 2-1 home win.
“What an amazing game, and an amazing win,” enthused U’s boss McGreal.
“We’ve got the three points that we have been desperately trying to get at home of late.
“I thought the fans were terrific. I had asked them on Thursday (at the weekly press conference) to back the team and you could not have asked any more from them really.
“I thought they were fantastic and they gave us that brilliant start that we had in the first half.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 8 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 9 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
“They were two set pieces goals, but we also showed terrific approach play to cut through a team who were top of the table before this afternoon’s results.
“Some of our football was fantastic and it was very pleasing to watch.
“We knew what was going to come in the second half, after what Luton did at Coventry a few weeks ago when they came from 2-0 down to get it back to 2-2.
“I thought we were resolute and kept our shape. I can’t think of Walks (keeper Sam Walker) really having a shot to save, in what was a thoroughly good game of football.”
• Re-live all the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.