MATCHDAY RECAP: Battling Us stun promotion-chasing Luton in 2-1 win
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Pagepix
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s EFL League Two match against Luton Town at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
John McGreal, hailed his side’s “amazing win” over then-league leaders Luton in a thunderous League Two clash, played in awful weather conditions on Saturday.
The U’s never really look back from scoring twice early on, through centre-halves Tom Eastman and Luke Prosser, and they then weathered a late Luton storm in driving rain to clinch a 2-1 home win.
“What an amazing game, and an amazing win,” enthused U’s boss McGreal.
“We’ve got the three points that we have been desperately trying to get at home of late.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought the fans were terrific. I had asked them on Thursday (at the weekly press conference) to back the team and you could not have asked any more from them really.
“I thought they were fantastic and they gave us that brilliant start that we had in the first half.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 3 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
- 9 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 10 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
“They were two set pieces goals, but we also showed terrific approach play to cut through a team who were top of the table before this afternoon’s results.
“Some of our football was fantastic and it was very pleasing to watch.
“We knew what was going to come in the second half, after what Luton did at Coventry a few weeks ago when they came from 2-0 down to get it back to 2-2.
“I thought we were resolute and kept our shape. I can’t think of Walks (keeper Sam Walker) really having a shot to save, in what was a thoroughly good game of football.”
• Re-live all the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.