MATCHNIGHT RECAP: Super Us sink Yeovil 3-1 to maintain League Two charge
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s home EFL League Two match against Yeovil
Colchester United recorded their fourth home victory from six starts on Tuesday night, to cement their position in the top five of League Two.
Tom Eastman put the impressive U’s ahead midway through the first half, and Frank Nouble then obliged with a second-half brace to comfortably dispose of Yeovil, who rarely threatened all evening.
The U’s broke the deadlock in the 25th minute, with Eastman on target for his first goal of the season.
Harry Pell had a key part to play in the goal, heading on from Courtney Senior’s corner. The ball landed at the feet of Eastman, and the big centre-back managed to squeeze his shot past keeper Nathan Baxter from eight yards out.
You may also want to watch:
It was certainly a change in fortunes for Eastman – the former Ipswich defender had been unable to appear for the second half against Bury on Saturday, due to feeling groggy after a collision of heads.
This was Eastman’s 15th goal in a U’s shirt, on what was his 291st senior appearance for the club since his switch from Portman Road in the summer of 2011.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 3 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 4 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 5 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 6 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 8 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge
- 9 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 10 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
Nouble only arrived at the Community Stadium this summer, from Newport, but he crowned another hard-working display with the second goal, to effectively kill off the Glovers.
It was a terrific solo goal by Nouble, notched in the 59th minute. The former Ipswich Town attacker burst through the middle on a powerful run before beating keeper Baxter all ends up with a 25-yarder which dipped beneath the bar and into the roof of the net.
And Nouble chalked up his third goal in a U’s shirt, and his second of the night, to seal the victory in the 84th minute.
Sammie Szmodics capitalised on a defensive error and squared for Nouble, who coolly lifted his shot over Baxter and into a gaping net to round off a terrific night for himself, and the U’s.
Yeovil scored a consolation with virtually the last kick of the game, Tom James netting from a long range free-kick in the fourth minte of injury-time.
• Follow all the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above