Vernon puts U's on brink of promotion
Bournemouth 1 Colchester 2SCOTT Vernon was crowned a Colchester United hero as he blasted home a second-half winner to bring the U's a step nearer to promotion to the Championship.
By Carl Marston
Bournemouth 1 Colchester 2
SCOTT Vernon was crowned a Colchester United hero as he blasted home a second-half winner to bring the U's a step nearer to promotion to the Championship.
Blackpool loanee Vernon pounced onto a terrific cross from Karl Duguid to fire an unstoppable half-volley past Cherries keeper Gareth Stewart.
You may also want to watch:
That put the U's 2-1 up in the 51st minute, and Phil Parkinson's men held out to retain the second automatic promotion slot.
Liam Chilvers had given them the perfect start, by heading home Wayne Brown's fifth minute free-kick, only for Stephen Cooke to grab the equaliser with a fine solo goal just three minutes later.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 5 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 6 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 10 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
However, the U's stuck to their task and Vernon obliged with the winning goal on what was only his second start for the Layer Road club.
United have two games left, at home to Rotherham and then at Yeovil on the final day of the season. Win both these and they will definitely be up.