Veterans Vintage Cup
Men's Veterans Vintage Cup Quarter FinalsIpswich 1 Richmond Renegades 3Ipswich failed to reach the semi-finals of the over 50s cup, but after a shaky start can be proud of a second half performance that saw them bounce back and give the visitors some anxious moments.
Men's Veterans Vintage Cup Quarter Finals
Ipswich 1 Richmond Renegades 3
Ipswich failed to reach the semi-finals of the over 50s cup, but after a shaky start can be proud of a second half performance that saw them bounce back and give the visitors some anxious moments.
Richmond, fielding a number of ex-internationals, started the better team and the home midfield were left chasing the ball. Bishop opened the scoring in the fifth minute from a penalty corner and then Laly deflected home following another penalty corner.
You may also want to watch:
As Ipswich were forced to re-arrange to combat the Richmond advance Bishop again converted and it seemed that the home team were getting well beaten. The Ipswich team, however, are made of stern stuff and they dug deep to restore some pride and get back into the game.
Wrinch, playing in the unfamiliar role of left wing, had a great chance saved and then in probably the best move of the game Peter Sampson kept possession down the right went to the goal line and laid on a superb pass to Glading, his effort cannoned back off the crossbar to safety.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 10 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
Shortly afterwards, Glading fired home from a penalty corner only for the umpire to disallow his effort.
Captain Steward spurred on the team at half time, but it was not until the 52nd minute that Peter Sampson pulled a goal back. Ipswich then enjoyed their best spell as a number of efforts went wide and Youngman's effort was well saved.
Richmond were now finding it more difficult to create chances and, while a number of efforts flew wide, Steward saved anything on target.
Along with Ricmond; Eastcote, Southampton and Indian Gymkana also progressed.