Victoria Pendleton and Jess Varnish disqualified from Olympics
TEAM GB pair Victoria Pendleton and Jess Varnish will not race in the Women’s Team Sprint final against China after being disqualified following their victory against Ukraine.
Mildenhall Cycling Club member Pendleton and her partner Varnish were omitted from the medal race-off as a result of an illegal changeover during the race.
Britain were due to face China in the final, who had earlier smashed the world record set by Pendleton and Varnish in qualifying. Germany will now take Britain’s place.
“It is one of those things that happens and we are both partly to blame, we were probably just a bit too overwhelmed and eager,” said Pendleton, who still has two events to compete in.
“We really felt we were getting into silver and gold time but it is just one of those rubbish things that happens.”
You may also want to watch:
For Varnish, the event represented her only chance to win a medal in London, but Pendleton, who is retiring after the London Games, believes 21-year-old Varnish will be back stronger in Rio, in four years time.
“She (Varnish) is going to have many more Olympic Games to go for, it is the end for me but the beginning for her.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 6 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 8 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 9 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 10 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
“I am 100 per cent sure Jess will go to Rio in four years time and smash it.”