Waldringfield duo win Winter Alliance
SEAN Whelan and Chris Ward of Waldringfield won the Suffolk Winter Alliance at Fynn Valley with 47 Stableford points. They beat a Rushmere pairing of Gerry Markham and Robin Collins by one shot in conditions that started sunny but turned cloudy later in the day.
By Tony Garnett
SEAN Whelan and Chris Ward of Waldringfield won the Suffolk Winter Alliance at Fynn Valley with 47 Stableford points.
They beat a Rushmere pairing of Gerry Markham and Robin Collins by one shot in conditions that started sunny but turned cloudy later in the day.
Paul Wilby, the director of golf at the host club, and Trevor Quinton took third place on count back. They had 44 points with 23 on their back nine.
Kevin Earp of Bury Golf Range was best of the four professionals in the field. His one over par round of 71 beat Wilby by one shot. Rob Pritchard of Stonham Barns was round in 73 and Steven Moye of Haverhill in 74.
- 1 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Army carries out controlled explosion of dummy tank shell in west Suffolk
- 6 Chasing a treble, style shift and potential debut - Burton v Ipswich talking points
- 7 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 8 Woman in 70s dies in hospital after serious crash in east Suffolk
- 9 Suffolk councillor can stay in role despite bribery sentence
- 10 Major Suffolk employer looks to move into A14 warehouse
47 points: Sean Whelan and Chris Ward (Waldringfield).
46: Gerry Markham and Robin Collins (Rushmere).
44: Paul Wilby and Trevor Quinton (Fynn Valley) took third prize on count back from Jamie Abbott and Andy Munro also from Fynn Valley and Stowmarket's David Daniel and C George.
43: C Sisson and D Whelan, C Briggs and D Thomas, R Ross and S Creasey.
42: E Bareham and G Ashcroft, B Thompson and I McKay, D Whiting and A Spittle, C Brown and D Grieves.
41: K Hume and G Vandervord, L Chandler and J Davies, G Baird and E Kiddle, J Cunnell and B Baker, K Earp and D Ball.
40: T Holley and P Davey, R Saunders and B Baalham, J Whiting and M Coventry.
39: J Smith and P Smith, S Moye and D Edwards, R Toone and I Carter, M Klingle and G Price, M Noble and C Prime, S Murphy and G Borthwick.
38: D Markham and S Ferrell, C White and M Pearse, J Pierce and N Ross, J Walker and P McGarr, C Williams and S Clark, K Ward and R Rand.
37: D Chalmers and S Baxter, B Darling and R Pritchard, T Clarke and M Symonds, R Brazier and M Firman, K Minter and B Slowley.
36: J Daniels and C Marks, W Wright and C Smith.
35: J Nichols and W Penman, N Pusey and A Gemmel.
34: P Jiggens and T Lunness, B Coxall and A Rose, K Rooney and S Gray.
33: R Doherty and R Sims.
32: M Barlow and M McAndrews.
29: R Curl and A Whitfield.