Waldringfield golfers battle the bitter conditions to win on their home course
- Credit: Archant
A team of Waldringfield golfers won the Suffolk Winter Alliance team event on their home course on Sunday.
The event was played in bitterly cold conditions after a heavy overnight frost.
Glen Davis, Bernie Aldous, Chris Ward and Sean Whelan amassed 83 Stableford points. Runners-up were Haverhill’s Chris Briggs, Ollie Rush, Malcolm Robinson and Simon Cousins with 81 points.
Third place was settled on count back. Stoke by Nayland’s Ian Benson, Byron Long, Rob Benson and Chris Williamson had 80 points with 43 on their back nine. On the same score were T Carman, J Williams, J Smith and D Yates from Stoke by Nayland and Braintree.
There was a field of 112 including three professionals. Sam Forgan of Stowmarket won with a round of 76 which was an indication of just how difficult the conditions proved to be despite a lack of wind. Forgan usually breaks par in Alliance events. Alex Davey had 79 and Ollie Rush had 80.
You may also want to watch:
The next Alliance event is a better ball event at Southwold on February 5.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
79: B Hitchcock, R Reid, A Brown and J Partridge; G Staples, I Wheeldon, R Walters and R Mayhew.
78: R Clemson, B Stammers, J Hellyer and M Kennington.
77: A Fish, M Mansfield, P Mosedale and P Fairbrother.
75: T Golton, S Forgan, B Forgan and A Forgan; S Piotrowski, J Wiseman, T Lyons and E Bareham; G Borthwick, R Gardiner, I Smith and R Bland.
74: R Hood, R Holmes, C Clark and L Norman; P Bartlett, S Rex, J Kennedy and N Farendon.
73: I Bedford, L O’Donovan, R Brame and C Seward; A Davey, J Clark, D Smith and K McCredie; R Ross, R Clayden, R Brazier and J Wilding.
72: N Spong, R Spong, L Seager and A Hammond.
71: B Castle, M Moore, A Smith and L Tuffin; S Mann, D Rosser, S Coonan and R Dzierozynski; T Broomfield, M Firman, P McClennan and H Bavester.
70: S Wiggins, M Valentine, A Barham and A Quinn; K Rooney, C Leathers, A Gipson and M Eaton; G Scott, A Spittle, M Calmet and S Tatum; A Cunningham, D Cunningham, P Lockwood and S Lockwood.
69: A Hayward, M Hayward, A Cornish and L Turner.
67: P Walters, J Snow, L Fish and M Williamson.
66: D Brown, M Chaplin, I Collett and D Goddard; A Garrett, C Whyatt, N Salmon and D Matter.