Result of season for Wanderers with win over table-toppers
- Credit: Archant
Thurlow One Ipswich Wanderers 3 Harleston 1 Improving Wanderers achieved their best result of the season in defeating the runaway leaders at a damp Humber Doucy Lane, writes Dave Meeson.
Although the performance was very much a team effort, Jack Severy was particularly influential with his pinpoint deliveries from wide positions, James Watling proved a handful up front and keeper Ben Mayhew made a couple of excellent stops at crucial times to prevent Harleston from getting a foothold back into the game.
The home side opened the scoring on seven minutes when Alexandru Bobonete drove home his first goal for the club after Harleston defender Charlie Roe failed to clear.
There was nearly an equalizer almost immediately only for Connor Delaney to shoot wide with Mayhew stranded.
Harleston continued to push forward and Mayhew spread himself to save from Nathan Russell. Wide man Nicky Howell then got behind the home defence only for his inviting cross to be missed by everyone.
You may also want to watch:
However, it was Wanderers who increased their lead though a superb close range volley from Watling as he latched on to a deep free kick from Severy, a recent signing from Hadleigh and now back for a second spell at the club.
Mayhew then produced a superb stop from Jake imrie as he back-peddled to somehow push his header over the bar.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
Joe Berry made it 3-0 just after the break when he converted from 6 yards after another Severy dead ball delivery was fumbled by visiting keeper Brandon Ling.
Watling could have added a fourth just prior to the hour as he rounded the keeper only for Roe to divert his effort against the underside of the bar and away.
Town had scored in every game this season so it was no surprise when they pulled a goal back with 20 minutes of normal time left through Russell who powerfully headed home at the back post.
However, any hopes Harleston had of pulling the game out of the fire evaporated soon afterwards as Roe was sent off for a late and dangerous tackle leaving the hosts to see out the game fairly comfortably.
Wanderers remain in eighth place and are now unbeaten in four while Harleston, despite the defeat, still have a nine point cushion at the top.