Ward considers ‘one or two’ loan additions
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward is considering bringing in ‘one or two’ loan signings to boost his play-off chasing squad for the final run-in.
Following Tuesday night’s 1-0 win at Bristol Rovers, the U’s – who host fifth-placed Southampton on Saturday – are now four points off the top six in League One with 13 games to play.
“The transfer window closes this month and we need to think whether we need a couple in to improve us,” said Ward, who witnessed the Essex side wilt at the final hurdle last season while he was assistant manager to Aidy Boothroyd.
“I’ve got my scouting people in today to talk about that. Thursday’s a good afternoon for us to sit down for an hour. They’ll throw some names at me, I’ll throw some back at them and we’ll see what happens.
“If we decide we do need people then I’ll have to be pushing the chairman to make the squad stronger than what we’ve already got.
You may also want to watch:
“Experience has taught me that if you don’t act before things happen then you can drift away. If we bring players in we still might fall away but at least we’ll have tried not to let that happen.
“We’re on the verge at the moment and looking maybe for something that takes us over the edge and a bit further on.”
- 1 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 8 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 9 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
The ‘emergency’ loan window closes in three weeks at 5pm on Thursday, March 24.
– For full story, see tomorrow’s EADT.