Ward ‘disappointed’ with Elito
IT looks increasingly likely that Medy Elito has made his last appearance for Colchester United after manager John Ward admitted he was ‘disappointed’ with his conduct.
The winger – who turned 21 on Monday – had his loan spell at League Two side Cheltenham Town unexpectedly cut short at the weekend with little explanation.
“He’s disappointed Cheltenham and he’s disappointed me,” said Ward.
“I haven’t called him in yet and he still hasn’t knocked on my door to explain what happened.
“I’ve been in contact with people at Cheltenham and I’m still having little conversations as to the reasons why.
You may also want to watch:
“It would be wrong for me to go further on that because I’m still looking for an official line as to why it didn’t work out,
“The initial conversations are disappointing though and I’ll tell you when I know.”
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 3 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 7 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 8 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 9 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 10 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
Elito had been due to stay at the Robins until the end of the season, but manager Mark Yates sent him back to Essex on the eve of his side’s match at Bury having played him just twice previously.
So far Yates has only said that: “It hasn’t worked for both parties and there are no bad feelings on our part.”
Elito recently became a father for the first time and earlier this month told the Gloucestershire Echo: “My missus and baby are back in London and there are times when you miss them and you want to go back. But football is my career, I am here to do a job and I have got to do it.”
Elito, who was handed a new two-year deal soon after Aidy Boothroyd’s arrival in 2009, is one of at least nine players set to be out-of-contract at Colchester this year.
He has made just one appearance for the U’s this season – a late substiutute appearance at Sunderland in the League Cup last August – and had a two-month spell on loan at Essex club Dagenham & Redbridge.
The Zaire-born wideman burst onto the scene during the U’s relegation season from the Championship with a spectacular goal against West Brom and was soon handed England U18 and U19 honours.
However, he failed to build on that and has made just eight starts for the club in nearly four seasons.