Ward does not expect another Cherries bid for Anthony Wordsworth
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward has revealed that the club has turned down a bid for Anthony Wordsworth from Bournemouth, and he does not expect the Cherries to come in with another one.
Ward was speaking after the U’s 1-0 win at Leyton Orient this afternoon – their first victory of 2012.
“We have turned down a bid from Bournemouth for Anthony (Wordsworth), and we don’t expect them to come back,” confirmed Ward.
“We have told Bournemouth than he is not going at that figure, and I don’t think they have got a bigger figure to come back with.
“The chairman (Robbie Cowling) and I spoke about it, and we both agreed that we did not want to lose Anthony at this stage.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s a good professional, and I sat with him on Friday morning and explained the whole situation to him.
“He’s put his boots on today and put in a great shift for the team, and for this football club. There was no sulking or throwing dummies out of the pram.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
“But he will get a move at some stage,
“He’s our top scorer and he is a good footballer, and today he did a different type of job for us.
“He had to scrap and battle in our midfield, rather than play with his elegance,” added Ward.
A 28th minute own goal by O’s defender Terrell Forbes was enough to secure a win for the U’s at Brisbane Road, although Ian Henderson might claim the goal for himself.