Ward frustrated following another away loss
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward was left frustrated at his side’s 2-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon.
It was the same old story for the U’s who more than matched their hosts for large periods only to suffer a 10th defeat from their last 13 league games.
“I’m frustrated that we haven’t come away with anything,” said Ward.
“We’ve come up against a very aggressive Sheffield Wednesday who were wound up and ready for the battle.
“We started well and took the game on as often as we could and you could sense the anxiety around the place both off the pitch and on it.
You may also want to watch:
“The first goal was always going to be crucial and that calmed them down a bit.
“The second goal then made it really, really difficult because when Hillsborough gets going it’s a great place to be for a Sheffield Wednesday player.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 9 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
“We pulled a goal back but it was too little, too late which was frustrating.”
Reflecting on the opening goal, Kemi Izzet inadvertently diverting the ball into the path of Mellor, Ward said: “I think he’s just tried to block it. We had five or six shots blocked around their penalty area but on those occasions it’s popped to a blue shirt rather than a red one.
“We’ve played some decent football against a big physical side, the disappointment is that we haven’t got at least a point from the game. Unfortunately that labels our away record form over a period of time as not very good.”
– More reaction in Monday’s EADT.